As part of the You Are Hear project, you will be able to sample some of the treasures of the Essex Sound and Video Archive at a site near you.
Keep checking this page for updates about the installations. You can also read more about the listening benches and listen to the audio clips on our Essex Sounds website.
Listening Bench Tours
- March – May 2017: Battlesbridge Antiques Centre and Cressing Temple
- June – August 2017: Waltham Abbey Gardens and Great Notley Country Park
- September – November 2017: Belfairs Woodland Centre and Danbury Country Park
Community Listening Bench Installations
- New: Southend-on-Sea listening bench: Preview at Festival of Southend, Chalkwell Park, 27-29 May
- Colchester, Castle Park: Launched 4 June 2016
- Great Dunmow, town square: Launched 28 June 2016
- Saffron Walden, Museum: Launched 30 June 2016
- Kelvedon, Packhorse Bridge: Launched 31 July 2016
- Great Waltham, Banbury Square: Launched 7 August 2016
- Harwich, St Helen’s Green: Launched 24 September 2016
- Westlake Park, Bowers Gifford, Basildon: Launched 31 March 2017
- Castle Hedingham, St Nicholas Church: Launched 5 April 2017
See if you can visit all the benches! Download this map to help you find them. Send us a picture of yourself with each bench, and tell us which sound clip was your favourite. Get in touch with your #benchselfie through Twitter, Facebook, or e-mail.
Audio-Video Kiosk Tours
- 4 July – September 2016: Chelmsford Museum and Loughton Library
- October – December 2016: Zinc Arts, Ongar and Fingringhoe Wick Visitor Centre
- January – March 2017: Canvey Island Library and Brentwood Library
- April – June 2017: Jaywick Martello Tower and Caxton Books and Gallery, Frinton-on-Sea / The Naze Education and Visitor Centre
- July – September 2017: Hadleigh Old Fire Station and locations around Wivenhoe
Opportunities to Get Involved
We are still booking venues for the second year of the listening bench and kiosk tours. We are also looking for community groups to work with the second round of bench installations, which will be installed here:
Please get in touch if you have any suggestions.