As part of the You Are Hear project, you will be able to sample some of the treasures of the Essex Sound and Video Archive at a site near you.
Keep checking this page for updates about the installations. You can also read more about the listening benches and listen to the audio clips on our Essex Sounds website.
Listening Bench Tours
- September – November 2017: Belfairs Woodland Centre and Danbury Country Park
- December 2017 – February 2018: Raphael Park, Romford and Hadleigh Country Park
- March – May 2018: Finchingfield Guild Hall and Weald Country Park
Community Listening Bench Installations
- Epping, St John the Baptist, High Street: To be launched 4 November 2017, 3:00 p.m.
- Harlow Museum, Muskham Road: Launched 16 September 2017
- Colchester, Castle Park: Launched 4 June 2016; audio updated June 2017
- Basildon, Westlake Park, Bowers Gifford: Launched 31 March 2017
- Castle Hedingham, St Nicholas Church: Launched 5 April 2017
- Chelmsford, The Meadows, Backnang Square: launched 18 July 2017
- Clacton-on-Sea, West Cliff Theatre, Tower Road: launched 31 July 2017
- Clavering, Blacksmith’s Corner: launched 15 July 2017
- Coggeshall, Doubleday Corner: launched 11 July 2017
- Galleywood Heritage Centre: Launched 1 July 2017
- Great Dunmow, town square: Launched 28 June 2016
- Great Waltham, Banbury Square: Launched 7 August 2016
- Harwich, St Helen’s Green: Launched 24 September 2016
- Kelvedon, Packhorse Bridge: Launched 31 July 2016
- Saffron Walden, Museum: Launched 30 June 2016
- Southend-on-Sea, The Pier: Launched 14 June 2017
See if you can visit all the benches! Download this map to help you find them. Send us a picture of yourself with each bench, and tell us which sound clip was your favourite. Get in touch with your #benchselfie through Twitter, Facebook, or e-mail.
Audio-Video Kiosk Tours
- October – December 2017: Maldon Library and Braintree District Museum
- January – March 2018: Walthamstow Library and Tiptree Museum (Wilkin and Sons)
- April – June 2018: Cater Museum, Billericay and Rayleigh Town Museum
Opportunities to Get Involved
We are still looking for community groups to work with the remaining bench installations, which will be installed here: