As part of the You Are Hear project, you can sample some of the treasures of the Essex Sound and Video Archive at a site near you. Find your nearest listening bench or audio-video kiosk from the list below. You can also read more about the listening benches and listen to the audio clips on our Essex Sounds website.
Listening Bench Tours
- December 2017 – February 2018: Raphael Park, Romford and Hadleigh Park
- March – May 2018: Finchingfield Guild Hall and Weald Country Park
Community Listening Bench Installations
- Burnham-on-Crouch, West Quay: Launched 8 December 2017
- Basildon, Westlake Park, Bowers Gifford: Launched 31 March 2017
- Castle Hedingham, St Nicholas Church: Launched 5 April 2017
- Chelmsford, The Meadows, Backnang Square: Launched 18 July 2017
- Clacton-on-Sea, West Cliff Theatre, Tower Road: Launched 31 July 2017
- Clavering, Blacksmith’s Corner: Launched 15 July 2017
- Coggeshall, Doubleday Corner: Launched 11 July 2017
- Colchester, Castle Park: Launched 4 June 2016; audio updated June 2017
- Epping, St John the Baptist, St Johns Road: Launched 4 November 2017
- Galleywood Heritage Centre: Launched 1 July 2017
- Great Dunmow, town square: Launched 28 June 2016
- Great Waltham, Banbury Square: Launched 7 August 2016
- Harlow Museum, Muskham Road: Launched 16 September 2017
- Harwich, St Helen’s Green: Launched 24 September 2016
- Kelvedon, Packhorse Bridge: Launched 31 July 2016
- Saffron Walden, Museum, Museum Street: Launched 30 June 2016
- Southend-on-Sea, The Pier: Launched 14 June 2017
- Witham, Maldon Road Park: Launched 18 November 2017
See if you can visit all the benches! Download this map to help you find them. Send us a picture of yourself with each bench, and tell us which sound clip was your favourite. Get in touch with your #benchselfie through Twitter, Facebook, or e-mail.
Audio-Video Kiosk Tours
Our touring touchscreen audio-video kiosks play a selection of recordings from the Essex Sound and Video Archive. The hosts for the rest of the project will be:
- January – March 2018: Walthamstow Library and Tiptree Museum (Wilkin and Sons)
- April – June 2018: Cater Museum, Billericay and Rayleigh Town Museum
We also have a permanent kiosk in the Reception area at the Essex Record Office. Have a play the next time you visit!
If you have used one of our benches and kiosks, please tell us what you think! E-mail us or comment below.