As part of the You Are Hear project, you can sample some of the treasures of the Essex Sound and Video Archive at a site near you. Find your nearest listening bench or audio-video kiosk from the list below. You can also read more about the listening benches and listen to the audio clips on our Essex Sounds website.
Listening Bench Tours
At the end of the tours, these two listening benches will find permanent homes at Chalkwell Park, Southend-on-Sea and Danbury Country Park.
Community Listening Bench Installations
- Basildon, Westlake Park, Bowers Gifford: Launched 31 March 2017 [Currently awaiting replacement]
- Burnham-on-Crouch, West Quay: Launched 8 December 2017
- Castle Hedingham, St Nicholas Church: Launched 5 April 2017
- Chelmsford, The Meadows, Backnang Square: Launched 18 July 2017
- Clacton-on-Sea, West Cliff Theatre, Tower Road: Launched 31 July 2017
- Clavering, Blacksmith’s Corner: Launched 15 July 2017
- Coggeshall, Doubleday Corner: Launched 11 July 2017
- Colchester, Castle Park: Launched 4 June 2016; audio updated June 2017
- Epping, St John the Baptist, St Johns Road: Launched 4 November 2017
- Galleywood Heritage Centre: Launched 1 July 2017
- Great Dunmow, town square: Launched 28 June 2016
- Great Waltham, Banbury Square: Launched 7 August 2016
- Harlow Museum, Muskham Road: Launched 16 September 2017
- Harwich, St Helen’s Green: Launched 24 September 2016
- Kelvedon, Packhorse Bridge: Launched 31 July 2016
- Saffron Walden, Museum, Museum Street: Launched 30 June 2016
- Southend-on-Sea, The Pier: Launched 14 June 2017
- Witham, Maldon Road Park: Launched 18 November 2017 [Currently awaiting replacement]
See if you can visit all the benches! Download this map to help you find them. Send us a picture of yourself with each bench, and tell us which sound clip was your favourite. Get in touch with your #benchselfie through Twitter, Facebook, or e-mail.
Audio-Video Kiosk Tours
Our touring touchscreen audio-video kiosks play a selection of recordings from the Essex Sound and Video Archive. The hosts for the rest of the project will be:
We also have a permanent kiosk in the Reception area at the Essex Record Office. Have a play the next time you visit!
If you have used one of our benches and kiosks, please tell us what you think! E-mail us or comment below.