Welcome to the blog of the Essex Record Office.
We will be updating this blog with highlights from our extensive collection, behind-the-scenes peeks at our conservation work and news about ERO events.
The documents held by the ERO cover almost 1,000 years of Essex history, and take up 7 miles of shelving. Whether you want to trace your ancestors, discover more about this history of your house, your village or town, or the whole of the ancient county of Essex, we will almost certainly be able to help you.
We offer a wide range of facilities for researchers:
- Expert advice to help you with your research
- The opportunity to view original documents in our Searchroom
- The Essex Ancestors online subscription service, and free access to digital images in our Searchroom
- Free use of genealogy website Ancestry
- The Essex Sound and Video Archive
- Talks, lectures and courses
Keen to find out more? The handy video guide below explains everything you need to know about making your first visit to the ERO. In the meantime, you can search our online catalogue Seax and plan your visit to us in our Chelmsford Searchroom where we look forward to welcoming you.